Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We had a pretty tame week this week. Gage's baseball game was cancelled last Thursday because of the rain so we just pretty much hung out at home all week. It was nice.

Saturday Gage went to a Kernels baseball clinic at Vets Memorial stadium. He raved about it - and can't wait to go again next year. The players spend a couple hours teaching or helping to improve baseball techniques. During the clinic Wade got an "inside view" tour of the stadium. I think they both enjoyed it.

Saturday evening we had some friends from work over along with their families for a cook out. The weather cooperated with us and the day was beautiful. Just enough shade to keep everyone out of the sun if they wanted to be. All the kids played well together and we all had a nice relaxing time.

Sunday we went to dinner at Great Aunt Carol's (or Careyole's if you are Ella). My Grandma Sharon was in town visiting from IL and Aunt Carol provided a place for all of us to gather and visit. And eat! Much of my Mom's side of the family was there: Aunt Katie, Uncle Troy, Ashley and her family, David and Mallory; Aunt Sherr, Danny and Andrew; Mom, John, Me and my family and Aunt Becky.

Monday was Ella's Birthday. 4 on the 21st! She is growing up so fast! We usually let the kids pick somewhere to go out to eat on their birthday's for a special treat. Ella chose Chuck-E-Cheese so off we went! Thankfully it wasn't crowded - probably because it was such a nice day.

So my Grandma Sharon is getting older and we (I) don't see her enough. I don't see any of my grandparents enough. My life is busy, but that is really no excuse. I need to spend more time with them - who knows what tomorrow will bring. I love them dearly and I have heard many a memory told about their lives but never really from them. I guess I really never thought to ask what it was like for them as a teenager or if their parents were kind. Or what is was like growing up in the depression. Did they grow up happy? What is one of their best memories? What about the worst (if they didn't mind sharing). These are the things I regret not asking my Grandma Abrams and still for some reason feel awkward asking my other Grandparents.
My Great Grandfather on my Dad's side wrote a book about his (our) ancestors and his life growing up along with memories of his adult life as well. I read it in full for the first time a month or so ago, usually just skimming the pages before. Something I realized while reading his autobiography is that the best gift you can give someone is to share a piece of yourself. I never had a chance to meet him but I appreciate and love the gift he has given to me. By writing his story down - he has given my family a history to read about for generations to come.
To know where you come from is gratifying, but to know who you come from is a beautiful thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just ask