Friday, August 8, 2008

Well, Summer is already starting to wrap up and it feels as though we just got started!

The weekend of the 25th we went camping at Backbone State Park with Rikki and Raelinn. We arrived on Friday and headed home on Monday. It was a great time. The road was closed to the area of the park where we usually go to the stream, and find good trails to hike, so we parked outside the gate and headed in on foot.

We explored the stream on Saturday and Gage and I caught some really good sized craw dads! I also (unfortunate for me) caught a leech on my ankle!! I may have panicked for a minute as I have never had a leech attach to me before. To my surprise it didn't hurt and didn't even leave a mark. But it's still slimy and anything that is a sucker of the blood is ick to me! Everyone got a kick out of my hysterics. I have never had a problem with leeches there before, but I was standing motionless in very muddy still water under a bridge trying to spot craw dads. I guess if they were to be anywhere, that is a prime location.

Sunday Mom and John came for a visit and we went for a hike on the Backbone trail. We had a great relaxed exploration with the kids until it started to thunder and we decided to rush a bit. It was barely raining as we made our walk on the closed road back to the truck, but when we got to the truck boy did it start coming down!! We rushed back to our tents and quickly zipped the windows and waited out the rain. Thankfully it only lasted about 30 minutes and we stayed dry for the most part!!

Monday we stopped in Strawberry point for some pizza and ice cream on the way home.

It was a good weekend of grilled food, s'mores, outdoor games, cards, relaxing and fun. We had raccoons come to visit, saw a deer canter close by us, and the kids caught millions of frogs, crickets, grass hoppers and lightening bugs!

Tuesday I went to Waterloo and payed a much needed visit to my Grandpa and Grandma Roe. We stayed for quite a while and visited. Grandpa brought out some pictures of him and his family growing up in Waterloo starting in the 1930's and 1940's and 50's.
It is so great that he has such wonderful pictures to share! He shared quite a few stories about his Mother and Father, his uncles, brothers and sisters and himself! I loved to hear each story and wish to hear more! I tried to encourage him to write these things down, but I don't think he will. Maybe I just need a tape recorder!

We also went to visit Aunt Carol and she fed us a yummy supper!

Saturday Raelinn and Mom came over so Rae could swim in our new pool with Gage and Ella. We (I) put the darn thing up on somewhat non level ground so it's disfigured and sloping and isn't as deep as it's capacity, but the kids didn't mind and had a blast anyways! Next year I will know better!

Wade is headed to Chicago tomorrow to watch his Red Sox play for the first time. He is very excited, then next week we have another week off work! YIPEE!!!

No comments: