Have you ever been walking and felt the urge to break out into a run? This is an urge I get a lot. I don't think I was born an athlete or a runner, so this running thing, it does not come easy to me. Be that as it may, I know I can do it. If I really believe in myself, I know I can.
I have been running off an on (more off than on) for a few years now. I was forced into running when in the Army, and was pretty darn good at it for a non-athlete. My personal best 2 mile run was a 15:30. We ran every other day, 2 miles or more never exceeding 5 miles. While preggers with Gage, I stopped running when I was about 3 1/2 months along and didn't pick up running again until he was almost two! That is a seriously long lapse in time to not have run or been active in any way really. When I finally decided enough was enough, I could barely run 1/2 mile. I worked my way slowly up to running just one mile, and it nearly killed me. So what did I do? I threw in the towel again. I didn't remember it being so hard before. Well about year or so ago, I got that feeling back again. I just felt like something lingering in my mind was telling me to try again, not to give up on myself so easily. So I started to run again. I took it a little slower this time starting with my 1/2 mile run. Every so often I would add on 1/10 of a mile, or 2/10 or a mile until I reached a mile. By this time, the run was fun. I really started to enjoy running again. For the longest time, I did my two mile run and was done. The other day, something hit me. I don't know what it was, but I decided I wanted to run a marathon. It seems crazy! REALLY CRAZY! But something that I really want to do. Why, you might want to ask, would a person who could barely squeak out a 2 mile run, want or think she could run a marathon. My answer is - I just know I can do it. If I really believe in myself, I know I can.
So this is my starting line - Right here -
I am the only one who controls the outcome here. Just me - controlling how far I can push myself. I want to discover just what it is I am made of. I want to prove to myself that this is a goal I can reach and strengthen my spirit along the way.
I am going to start this journey by running a few local 5K (3.2 miles) runs and work my way up from there. The first race I have signed up for is the Marion Swamp Fox 5k run/walk. It is on Saturday, September 8Th. There are a few others, I will post when I get signed up for in the coming months. These are my short term goals. By next August, I am hoping to have made myself ready enough to run a half marathon. The one I have chosen is The LaSalle Bank Chicago Distance Classic. The owner if this race is John Bingham. He is an extremely inspiring writer and will I'm sure give me the silver lining I need every now and again.
My first attempt at running 3 miles took place yesterday.
ORN: 3 miles, 31 minutes (treadmill run)
(ORN means "Obligatory Running Note", from the original Dead Runners Society list that required every post to have some running content - and which I stole from John Bignham's blog.)
It's not plagiarism if you give the author credit is it? I think posting my runs will help me stay motivated - We will all see - won't we?
"It's knowing that you are in control of your body and, for a few minutes every day, your life."
John Bingham
Soooo...........Just get MOVIN"!!
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment