What's going on with the Cubs is my question? Are you superstitious?
Not even a tiny bit????
With us though..there have been a lots a goings on.
Monday the 15Th I organized a "Tree Day" at Gage's school. My goal was to:
1 - Plant a tree for obvious reasons.
2 - Get the kids excited about planting a tree and teaching them the importance of trees.
3 - Getting them excited (at least a little) about recycling.
I think we accomplished all three! I was able to secure a handful of volunteers through being a member of the green team at work. So it was nice to have some other "greenies" who were as excited as me to do this. These children are after all our future.
Without caring local businesses we could not have pulled it off. I received a donation of a 4 year old Maple tree from a local nursery, Pecks. We also got a hefty donation of 500 seedlings from Hy-Vee - and I was able to get a local master gardener to come speak to the kids about recycling and the importance and relation of trees to clean air and water.
We first planted the tree with the kindergarten class and they LOVED it!! Then our wonderful Master Gardener Devon gave two assemblies for all of the kids (K - 5) and I think it really hit home. The kids were excited to learn about recycling and hopefully the ones whose families don't actively recycle at home, will help get that started. They asked a lot of questions, and were so happy to get to take a seedling home to plant in their own yard.
Then I had some kind of stomach bug that lasted from the 16th all the way to the 25th. I could hardly eat a thing. Wade did a good job of taking care of us all, and in my hazy dream/nauseous like state I couldn't thank him enough. I do have to make this note though because I am selfish in the end - The husband and the kids cannot live with out Mom. Thank you. :)
Saturday the 20th we took a trip out to Bloomsbury Farm. The kids had a LOT of fun. Wade and Gage went through the corn maze while Ella and I hung out in the shaded hay bale/jumping area. They fed the goats, donkeys and bunnies, they raced around a track on HUGE trikes, we watched a pig race, and got to see a pumpkin being launched a million miles an hour out of this home made pumpkin launching thing. It was good fun - and guess what...me with NO camera.
I am going back with Ella's preschool this month, so at least I will have some of that.
Friday the 26th I took the day off for Gage's fundraiser at school. I was in charge of the planning and execution of this "Cougar Chase" and it went pretty well. The Cougar Chase is meant to promote health and fitness while raising money for the school. The kids get people to sponsor them in a run around the fitness trail at school. We have lots of special guests and prizes to get the kids excited and this year we were able to raise $10,400 for our school. It was GREAT!
Our CSA has had a U-Pick green beans option recently so Wade and Gage went and picked 23 lbs of green beans!! The deal is if you pick 30 lbs you can keep 10. She said they could keep 10 anyway, but Wade decided to keep only 5 because that is a LOT of green beans, and we already have so many in the freezer. They are so good fresh though..and hopefully next year I will be growing my own. Gage said he had a really good time and for Wade it brought back good childhood memories of picking with his Grandparents. Then we all had a green bean snapping party...but I ended up not attending due to my weird illness that THANK GOD is gone!
Fall is definitely here. I love this time of year. The air is crisp and fresh, and the leaves create a landscape of beautiful autumn colors. It is a refreshing time of year for me, the weather perfect for walks or runs, for hikes or apple picking. I just can't get enough of it.
And this year really is a time to renew with the upcoming election. Make sure you vote!
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
my you have been busy!!!
I miss you guys sooooo much,
and you know I will be voting and taking anyone who wants to go with me!!
Go Obama
mom
Sounds like fun business! I love reading about everything that's going on:) Love you guys!
Post a Comment