Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Well I did it. My first 5k. It was awesome. I got there a little early to scope it out, and because I was so nervous. I saw all of the other runners near the start line and spread about around the area. They were stretching, running (I guess some runners run to warm up but I didn't want to waste my energy! ) and chatting with all of their running partners and buddies. In a way it felt good to be running alone, I could go at my own pace - no distractions and I only had to worry about breathing and not attempting to carry on a conversation with anyone.

The Marion mayor, or previous mayor I'm not sure which, finally told everyone to line up from the loud speaker. I honestly wasn't sure where I should line up. I have read 2 books now by John Bingham, and let me tell you - they helped me out SO much. I decided to head towards the middle of the pack. I knew the front would be where the more competitive runners would be (thanks John B) and the back would be mostly where the walkers were.

Then they said start. Actually to be quite truthful, I'm not sure if they said start or if a bell rang or a shot went off or what because I was in some sort of zone. I was just staring at everyone and wondering if I would make it up this huge hill. Then I just saw everyone start and away I went.

I am so happy to say that everyone was so friendly. I was afraid I would be shunned for being chubby, or not wearing the right kind of running shoes (or whatever).
:) :O ;P
That was not the case at all! I saw a couple of people I knew and they made me feel right at home. I also talked to a few people I didn't know and you know what? I realized they are just like me!

I am so happy that I did this. It has given me a sense of real accomplishment and even though I may not look like a runner, I finally really feel like one.

The race results are at www.cvra.net under the Swamp Fox link. My time if you don't want to look (but you should anyways - lol) was 29:39.

Thank you to all of my friends and family for your encouragement and interest. I was thinking of all of you and your kind words at the starting line and carried them with me to the end.

This is just the beginning for me people!! Watch out! hehe

I would also like to say that I had such an awesome time in Nashua visiting my family. Picnic's like that remind me of how everyone used to get together when I was a kid. I am so happy Sarah and Jeremy were able to come "home" for a visit.
Even though I didn't get to visit with you (Sarah) as much as I wanted to!!
It's hard though (hard as in you want to spend time and talk to everyone!) when there are so many people you love around that you don't get to see enough!

Dad sent me some pics that I will add later on- he takes some good pictures! I didn't take any again - I always forget something!

Take Care Everyone!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yea to you my little running deer
I am so proud of you