Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Weekend

We had a really fun weekend. Wade's parents drove all the way to visit us from Georgia. What a drive - 900 miles I think they said. They arrived on Thursday evening and left yesterday (Tuesday) morning. We don't get to see them that often so the time we do get never seems to last long enough.

Friday Gage had his end of year picnic at school so I went and spent some time with him at the park. We had a sack lunch and I watched him play kickball, catch and tag and just watching wore me out! As this school year ends I am curious and excited to see what the next year brings. We will all really miss Gage's teacher because she took us under her wing (along with her entire class) and made us feel great about school and learning. She also made us feel not so bad about the day's that we got notes sent home - not the good notes. Although she was awesome and will be hard to say good bye to, we are eagerly anticipating meeting his new teacher and moving on to 2nd grade.


Saturday we visited the Amana's, a favorite of the Georgia Cadenhead's, Bob and Eugenia, and of the Hiawatha Cadenhead's as well. A trip to Iowa wouldn't be complete without a little Amana shopping and a filling dinner at the Colony Inn. A little too filling sometimes because I can't stay away from the bread!
Sunday we had more of a restful day and walked down to the farmer's market. This happened to be the day that Last Hope Animal Shelter was there showing off all of the lovely dogs that needed a home. The kids almost got us (by us I mean just me) talked into taking one home as I was petting and hugging and petting and falling in love with all of the dogs and pups. It was if they were reaching out to me saying "You are the perfect family for me - Take me, pick me!" Then a gust of wind or a husband or something woke me from my dream like puppy loving state and reminded me we are not yet ready for a dog. We will be someday though...and I hope soon!!! I think the trick is to get a dog before you have kids otherwise you are always waiting for them to get to the right age that they are more self sufficient so you can really take the time to care for a dog like you need to. We also visited with the soap lady again and I asked about her website because I wasn't too impressed and she deserves an impressive website. She said it's still being worked on and when it's done, she will let me know. We bought soap lady made Deet Buster bug repellent (no deet) and it seemed to work pretty good after the second application. It smelled a lot better than store bought bug spray too. We are going to Pinicon Ridge this weekend, so I will let you know how it works after really putting it to the test!!


Monday we visited the Mississippi River Museum. That was a pretty great place to see. Now if I ever decide to ski again on the river - I know what calls that water home! Yipee!

It really was a neat place though. I couldn't believe all of the different species of fish and other wildlife they had!! We learned about crayfish, snails and clams and erosion. We got to climb aboard an old river boat and see how the pioneers and explorers lived on the river. We saw a huge array of catfish. Who knew there were so many different varieties of catfish!! They had a huge beautiful alligator and my poor picture taking skills will not do any of this justice. There were otters, snakes, frogs, ducks, sturgeon and even Cow Rays!! The cow ray's were our absolute favorite! There is so much history surrounding the Mississippi. I would like to go back sometime when I can get a chance to read more of the informational plaques. Not sure why - but the kids were not interested in those at all. :)

Overall, this is a good museum for all ages. Gage touching a baby alligator at the Museum.


Ella's turn!




Bob, Wade and the kids at the scenic overlook.


Gage and Ella bored by now of my picture taking :)


Is this a Sturgeon?



This was us touching Cow Rays. The kids loved it and were much braver than me! They are pretty slimy but after the first touch, I kept hoping they would swim by for another!!




More Cow Ray petting






Bob, Gage and Eugenia looking at snakes.





My Sad attempt at getting an Alligator to smile.



Wade's parents are currently on a long drive back to Georgia and we miss them already! Next time we will give them a rest and we'll make the drive.



1 comment:

mama tee said...

What a fun weekend:) I know what you mean about time with loved ones always going too fast. I'm trying to talk my parents into 3 weeks for their next trip...or maybe just the rest of the summer! I thought the "sturgeon" looked more like a northern but I am by no means a fish expert so it probably is a sturgeon:)

Love ya!