Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The other day I was given a gift. I watched my child play as if watching through a one way mirror. The moment was so perfect I felt it was my moment, but it wasn't. Though in a seperate way from that moment itself, it really was mine.

I sat leaning against a tree reading and watching them play. They were building a castle of dirt and sticks on the ball diamond for a bug they had caught. The leaves were rustling over my head and the wind was blowing soft as a secret. Their voices were drawing me in more with each passing second. Their laughter and playful banter making me put down my book to watch them.
There was a smell of dried out leaves and playground dust in the air. My mind began to take a trip backwards to my own youth. A time of non-worried thought and never ending days.
My heart swelled with the hope of my children being able to feel this feeling and remembering as I did. Maybe even while watching thier own children play.

If I could take each moment like this and put it in a picture frame, or actually write the words elequontly enough to really explain that would be ideal. For now I guess writing these snippets will at least help me if I decide to come back to this later in life.

As Gage and his friend called to me, letting me know they were ready to go home they were already climbing on their bikes to head up the hill and cut through the church lot. It was then I realized I was proud of something bigger than myself and being a parent. I was extremely happy for more than just this life, but for each that will come after it.

I do know life is short..and there is only once chance at it (maybe). So lets all take in every memory we can like this. Every bit of laughter from our children and others we love. Lets do this before the next moment comes to take the first away. Slowing down in this world is not easy but each time I do (and honestly it's not very often) this reward is well worth the compromise of giving up something far less important.

As I was writing this in my journal the other day Ella was preparing a concert for me with a microphone of blocks. Another moment I didn't let pass me by.

1 comment:

Rikki said...

You just painted me a picture with your words...
Please keep doing this - it truly makes me feel closer to you guys.

Love you always!